Today’s world is a spread out one as it is far more common that we will live in a separate city as our family and friends. Phone calls, occasional visits and social media make it easier for us to stay connected but what happens when there is a situation when someone you care about is ill or just had a surgery and you need a more meaningful connection? With the absence of your physical presence, what tangible things can you do to ensure that you are being supportive to a loved one or friend?
For starters, it is really important to know that you can absolutely be there for someone you care about when they are going through a difficult time, even in the absence of your physical presence.
- Relinquish the feeling of being paralyzed by your physical distance and shift your focus to the positive. Spend time thinking about what you can do and what is possible in this situation, rather than what is not possible.
- When someone is ill or is recovering from a surgery, you can send them a meal that you order online. That is one less thing they need to think about for their family and will help them out so much. Simply search online for a place that delivers to their area. Think of their favourite foods, something you know they will like.
- You can send them a gift card to a local restaurant.
- Send flowers. If they have a particular favourite flower or color, incorporate that. Being personal is the key here rather than being generic. They will know that you are thinking specifically of them and have them on your mind.
- Send them a gift card for an online retailer such as amazon.com so they can order what they wish, such as a book, music, etc. Or send them a selection of books that you feel will be meaningful during this time. You can also send them a selection of your favorite books that have gotten you through difficult times.
Always remember that showing your support will mean so much to the recipient, especially when it’s coming from someone unexpected and the extra effort you have put in from living afar. It’s just that little bit extra special.