This delicious and easy to make chicken dish is perfect for taking over to a friend or family member who could use a little help when they are going through a rough time. Perhaps they have suffered a loss in their family, or someone is ill. Making dinner for them will bring them comfort and is one less thing they have to think about during this time.
1 chicken (about 3 lb/1.4kg) cut into eighths
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup ketchup
4 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp)
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp toasted sesame oil (optional)
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Trim and discard excess fat from chicken pieces. Remove skin, if desired. Arrange chicken in a single layer in prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, if using. Mix well.
- Using a pastry bruch, coat chicken with half of marinade; reserve remaining marinade.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Coat chicken with remaining marinade; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer, until glazed and golden.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
Recipe from The Silver Platter cookbook by Daniella Silver and Norene Gilletz. Photo cred: Elisa Udaskin